Saturday 20 September 2008

Unscientific interlude


Switzerland is a nice place to bike. You see lots of nice stuff like valleys and tractors. But the country has problems of a cosmic order: Some physical laws don't apply. Three postulations:


--There are more roads going uphill than ones going downhill. This I prove on a daily basis. It seems the whole of Switzerland tips sligthly when I bleedsweatingly tread uphill. I simply never get the satisfaction pummeling downhill that would counter the hours upon hours of grinding hard work pushing 30 or so kilo's up to Switzerlands cow infested road summits. By the way, my personal best going downhill is 64.1 km/h. Still working on that. Going up? Hm... 0 km/h for 45 mins?

--The shortest distance between two points is not in a straight line. It is somewhat frustrating coming to this conclusion when the map obviously tells otherwise. They say the coast of Norway actually is infinitely long when you use a small enough unit of measuring. (Imagine measuring the circumference of all grains of sand which the water encompass on a beach.) I am getting used to pushing my bike up dirt walking trails, and the wheels sometimes feel infinitesimally small.

--Thermophysics don't work. My sleeping bag is too cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment